If you are looking to send an urgent or time-sensitive email message to one of your recipients, you can easily do so by marking the email as urgent using your Gmail account. Doing so will allow you to know the recipients that a particular message needs their attention. You can do so by simply adding an appropriate heading to the subject of your message. Moreover, you can also avoid missing an important incoming message by setting up a filter. When you configure a filter in your Gmail account it automatically applies a label to your email messages. Now, when you receive an email from someone, its importance will get indicated with a yellow marker next to the name of the sender. Additionally, you can also configure an inbox in your Gmail account to prioritize email for you.
Below, you can find the step-by-step instructions on how to mark an email as urgent in Gmail.
Steps to Mark an Email as Urgent or Important in Gmail Account
Highlight the Importance of an Email Using the Subject Field
- Firstly, open a Gmail sign-in page on your computer web browser and log into your account.
- Once logged in, click on the Compose + option located on the left-hand side of the panel.
- Next, you will need to add the recipients’ email addresses.
- In the Subject field, add a descriptor like any of the following depending on your requirement:
- [REPLY BY JANUARY 1]
- [APPROVAL REQUIRED]
- Also, you can add an exclamation mark ! before the descriptor to mark the email you will be sending as important.
- After that, you can compose your email and press the Send
Label an Email Urgent or Important
In order to categorize incoming email messages in your Gmail account, you can consider creating labels.
- Sign in to your Gmail account on your computer web browser.
- Next, click or tap on the Settings option (gear icon) located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Then, From the drop-down menu, you will need to select the “See all settings..” option.
- Now, under the settings section of your Gmail account on the next screen, press the Labels
- After that, you will need to scroll down to the Labels section and press the Create new label
- Finally, provide a label, for example, IMPORTANT or URGENT and press Create
Create a Filter & Autolabel Mail Urgent or Important
If you are looking to prioritize emails from certain individuals in your Gmail account, you can allow the Gmail Filer to address those emails and label them accordingly.
- Launch Gmail on your web browser and log into your account.
- Next, click or tap on the Search box located at the top and press the down arrow icon.
- From the expanded menu, enter your search criteria. If you wish to know that your search feature is functioning properly, check what emails are displaying by pressing
- Then, click or tap on the Create filter option located at the bottom of the search window.
- After that, configure the options provided as per your preference.
- Once you are done, press the Create Filter button, and you are done.
And, this is how you will be able to easily mark emails in your Gmail account Important or Urgent.