PDF is one of the most common formats to create documents that can be viewed from any operating system or computing platform. Using Adobe Acrobat or other PDF-compatible programs, you can easily create portable documents from any app which supports printing, making it an ideal way of sending letters, images, contracts, or any other document. Just like any other type of file, you can also attach a PDF file to an email. However, to make the file readily available to the recipient as soon as it is opened, most email programs require that the PDF file be embedded as an image. This way the recipient will be able to see the PDF file right away when the email is opened (as long as the webmail or desktop email program of the receiver supports images). To know how to insert a PDF into the body of an email in Outlook, Gmail, and Yahoo Mail, follow the steps provided below.
Steps to Attach a PDF into the Body of an Email
When Inserting a PDF File as an Image
If you wish to attach a PDF file as an image, you will need to convert the PDF into JPEG using a PDF to JPEG converter. Many online tools can help you easily convert your PDF file into a JPEG image.
- Once you are done converting your PDF file to JPEG, download it to your local drive.
- Now, launch your email program on the computer (for example, Microsoft Outlook).
- Next, click or tap on the “New Mail Message” option located on the ribbon bar to open a new email window.
- Then, enter the email address of the recipient in the “To” field and provide a suitable subject and message in the relevant fields.
- Now, click or tap on the “Insert” tab in the message box and select the “Picture” icon. In the prompted browsing window, move to the folder where you have downloaded the converted file (PDF to JPEG).
- Select the JPEG file from the folder and then press the “Insert” option. The PDF page image will begin appearing in the email message on your Outlook program.
- After that, press the Enter key on your keyboard to enter additional text or insert more page images if required.
- Then, you can click or tap on the “Attach File” option located on the ribbon bar and navigate to the folder on your PC where the PDF document is saved. Now, highlight the PDF file and press the “Insert” option. Outlook will show the filename in the “Attach” field of the message box.
NOTE: You don’t need to add the original PDF when the document only contains a single page or you have inserted all the pages into the email as images. However, if you are only adding the first page from the multiple-page PDF document as an image, you would want to attach the PDF file to let the recipient know if he/she wish to view the entire document from PDF.
- Finally, you can press the Send button with the embedded PDF image to the recipient. The image will appear on the recipient email program as soon as he will open the email message.
Similarly, if you wish to insert a PDF file using your Gmail Account, you can follow the instructions provided below.
Steps to Attach PDF File in the Body of an Email in Gmail
- Open a web browser on your PC and sign in to your Gmail account.
- Once logged in, click or tap on the Compose button located on the left-hand side panel.
- In the “New Message” box, enter the email address of the recipient in the “To” field and then an appropriate subject in the “Subject” field.
- Next, enter the message in the body of the email that you wish to send along with the PDF.
- Now, to attach the image of the PDF file, press the “Insert Photo” option. This will open a browsing window on your screen. Find the image of the PDF that you converted earlier and click or tap on it.
- Press the Insert button to add the image to the body of your email and then press the Enter key on your keyboard to create a line break. You can then add additional text or insert more images as required.
- If your PDF included a single page, you can simply press the Send key on your keyboard to send the email. The image will display on the recipient’s screen as soon as he/she will open the message.
- However, if your PDF document includes multiple pages, you can either insert all the pages by following the previous steps, or you can add the PDF document as an attachment to let the recipient device whether or not to open the PDF file.
- To add PDF as an attachment, click or tap on the Attachment icon and select the file from the prompted window on your screen.
- After that, press the Open button on the prompted window to add the PDF file as an attachment. You can now press the Send button to send the email to the recipient.
Steps to Attach PDF File in the Body of an Email in Yahoo Mail
- Sign in to your Yahoo Mail account on your web browser and press the Compose button located on the left-hand side panel.
- Enter the email address of the recipient in the “To” field and a suitable subject in the “Subject” field.
- Next, enter the message that you wish to send in the body of the email and then click or tap on the Attach files icon next to the Send
- Form the prompted options, select the Attach files from computer This will open a browsing window on your screen.
- Select the image of the PDF you converted from the browsing window and press the Open You will then see a small thumbnail of the image in the body of the email.
- Move your mouse cursor over the thumbnail and click on the three horizontal dots on the top-right corner. A drop-down menu will display on the screen.
- Select the Send as image option from the drop-down menu to add the image to the body of your email message.
- If the PDF document includes multiple pages, you can either add each page in the body of the email following the same steps, or you can add the PDF as an attachment to allow the recipient to open the PDF to view the complete document.
- To add an attachment, again click or tap on the Attach files Select the Attach files from the computer option from the expanded menu. This will open the browsing window.
- In the browsing window, find and select the PDF file and press the Open option. After that press the Send button to send the email to the recipient with the PDF file attachment.
So, these are the step-by-step instructions that you can follow to insert a PDF file into the body of your email.